Whether you are a brand new wine lover or already have a sophisticated palate, Thanksgiving weekend is the perfect time to visit the wineries of the Willamette Valley. This year, over 163 wineries in the Willamette Valley are opening their doors for a Wine Country Thanksgiving. You'll be able to sample wines that are hard to find, enjoy special pricing on special bottles.....and even enjoy live entertainment, gourmet food, and more! It's a great way to learn more about wine, while enjoying time with friends! My husband & I took a wine tasting adventure this weekend at JK Carriere Wines. We enjoyed some great conversation with Jim Prosser, owner & winemaker at JK Carriere.....and found some new pinots to take home for Thanksgiving. This year, the wineries of the Willamette Valley have developed a smart phone app that will help you perfectly plan your Thanksgiving Wine Country Escape. Go to www.willamettewinemap.com and scan the QR code to get: directions, hours, information, and more for over 190 Willamette Valley wineries. You can also get more info at www.willamettewines.com!
Here's a brief video overview of our visit!
Jim explains why JK Carriere features a wasp on their labels....and at the winery
Levi's says we need to stop washing our jeans to help them last longer....and to help save water (and the planet). They say in the future, water costs will make the cost of cotton (and our jeans) skyrocket!!
They say FREEZING them will kill the bacteria that causes stink! Hmmmm.....I'm skeptical. Do you think it works? Does anyone actually do this?
The British Journal of Psychology just published the findings of a study on how music affects how you taste wine.
Professor Adrian North of Herriot-Watt University gave taste tests to 250 students â half male, half female â while playing music in the background.
After five minutes the volunteers were asked to rank how much they felt the wine tasted. Their options matched the musical descriptions: powerful and heavy, subtle and refined, mellow and soft, zingy and refreshing.
The results showed the music the volunteers listened to consistently affected how they perceived the wine to taste!
Some pairing advice came out of this study: They found that for the best earthy and full-bodied Merlot taste experience, drinkers should try listening to Tom Jones....or to add a little zing to a glass of Pinot Grigio pull out the latest Lady Gaga album. What would YOUR suggested pairing be?
Turn 'em into another dessert and bring 'em to work! These would disappear SO fast around here.
Mmmmmm....candy bar cupcakes!
Candy Bar Cupcakes
4-8 of your favorite candy bars, plus 1 bag of favorite M&M's
(Twix, Payday, Reeses, Snickers, Rolo's, Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Kit Kat, Nestle Crunch)
Crush, cut and mash into tiny pieces
Mix together in a bowl, set aside
Peanut Butter Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Â½ cup peanut butter
1 cup chopped chocolate
Â½ cup cream
Melt together over low heat, stiring constantly, until incorporated
Remove from heat and let cool
When completely cooled whip with beaters until fluffy
1 Â½ sticks softened butter
Â½ cup white sugar
Â½ cup brown sugar
Cream together until fluffy
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix together until color lightens
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Â½ cups flour
1 Â½ cups buttermilk
Â½ cup mini chocolate chips
Stir until flour is incorporated
Pour evenly into cupcake liners, Â¾ full
Bake at F350Â°, 10-12 minutes until edges just begin to brown
Remove from oven, let cool
Frost with peanut butter chocolate ganache and top with candy bars
Haha! I have GOT to make this for dinner on Halloween. It's meatloaf that looks like a disgusting, creepy hand. Love it! It looks pretty easy to do and I think you can find hand-shaped pans at Michael's (or another cake/craft store). Here are the step by step instructions, with pics! Have fun!!!
This year, nine of Portland's talented bartenders will square off in a mixology battle royale, serving up specialty cocktails in four themed bar areas - Tiki, Portlandia, Prohibition and Sake. Attendees will have the opportunity to taste and vote on their favorite concoction, ultimately deciding which four bartenders will move on to compete for the title of Iron Bartender and impress the celebrity judges.
Competing bartenders are brought to you by the Oregon Bartenders Guild and Portland Cocktail Week. Bartenders include:
Adam Ho - Pho PDX
Angel Teta - Three Degrees
Ariana Vitale - Kask
Daniel Jacobson - Irving Street Kitchen
Emily Baker - Rum Club
Jeanette Adames-Napier - aloft Hotel
Jen Steimer - Trader Vic's
Jordan Felix - Clyde Common
Nathan Gerdes - Thatch Tiki Bar
VIP tix are sold out, but you can still get the remaining tix here and at the door
If you saw Zooey in "Elf", you know that girl can actually sing! She's got a band, "She & Him" and their fans have been bugging them to do a Christmas album for the looooonnnngest time. So they recorded one....and it's coming out Nov. 21. Here's a preview!
According to this news story, people assume they are. Crazy! I think there are certain jobs where you DON'T want to see someone who is all glammed out (EMT, Police Officer, Kennel Worker, Contruction Worker)
We had a GREAT time in the 105.1 The Buzz A-List Lounge yesterday with Hot Chelle Rae. The guys sounded great!!! They took a few minutes to update me on what's going on in their world. LOVE them and can't wait for the new album in November!!!
LA Reid called in to talk about tomorrow night's premiere of "X Factor" on Fox and we ended up talking about all sorts of stuff, including: How he discovered Rihanna and KNEW she had "it".....an Outkast reunion and new album next year....being "meaner than Simon"....and the biggest artist he let get away.....
I don't know how accurate this is, because THIS September baby is TERRIBLE at sports, science & math (ruling out pro-athlete & physicist for me). It is interesting, though. After going through census data, researchers discovered a link between your birth month and what you do for a living:
December babies will most likely grow up to be dentists.
January babies are debt collectors
Most artists are born in February
March is a good month for future pilots
April and May don't have a dominant profession
Summer months are not good for professional athletes or doctors
September is the month for pro athletes and physicists
Spring babies are at greater risk of illnesses like asthma, autism and schizophrenia :-(
Rolling Stone readers just voted on the worst songs of the 90's and I don't want to admit it.....BUT.....there's a few songs on here that I actually like. I mean, c'mon.....who doesn't have a soft spot for "Ice Ice Baby"? You know you sing along when you hear MMMBop, too! ;-)
What should be taken off this list? What else should be on here?
1) Barbie Girl - Aqua
2) Macarena - Los Del Rios
3) Achy Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus
4) Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
5) Tubthumping - Chumbawumba
6) MMMBop - Hanson
7) My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion
8) Who Let The Dogs Out - Baja Men
9) I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
10) What's Up - 4 Non Blondes
Kjerstin Gruys is.....and, believe it or not, that includes her upcoming wedding.
She started this challenge after a stressful weekend searching for the perfect dress for her October wedding. Comparing herself to the photoshopped models got her so depressed, she became fearful that she might relapse into an eating disorder that plagued her in college, She decided to shift her focus away from outward appearances.....and get rid of her mirror....for at least a year! Read more here
THINGS WOMEN DO ON FACEBOOK THAT GUYS HATE (from MSN)
1. Use Facebook to spy on them - Ummmm....this is one of the guiltiest pleasures of Facebook, am I right, ladies?
2. Making That Duck Face - Guys claim they hate goofy face pics, especially that puckered lips, Zoolander-ish pose. I say it probably depends on how hot the girl making the duck face is. ;-)
3. Sharing too much personal info - Guys don't really like this in person, either. It makes them uncomfortable.
4. Posting "Man-Hating" Stuff - That's a tough one. "Man Hating" is so subjective. If your boyfriend cheated, you should be able to get some support from your facebook friends by posting and exposing him....but talking about it every day definitely crosses the man bashing line.
5. Posting Self-Portrait Albumsâ I think we all get annoyed by this. Show some variety in your pics! ;-)
6. Doing Premature Relationship Publicity-Guys donât like it when they just start dating someone and she changes her main profile picture to a picture of the two of them together. Itâs way too soon.
7. Showing âArtsyâ Picturesâ They don't like those pics of your feet by the pool.....or beach. I say it's just because they want to see more of you, ladies. ;-)
First of all, I have to say I HIGHLY disagree with number 1.....which I do, not because I'm getting old, but because Leonardo Dicaprio makes boring movies.....and because maybe I should have passed on that second glass of wine with dinner. ;-) I do agree with some of these though. What do you think the "Getting Old" warning signs are?
1) Falling Asleep In Front Of The TV
2) Losing Your Hair
3) Hating Noisy Bars
4) Thinking Teachers, Doctors, & Policemen Look Really Young
5) Getting More Hairy
6) Not Knowing The Top 10 Most Popular Songs
7) Forgetting Names
8 ) Choosing Clothes For Comfort, Not Style
9) Driving Slooooowwwly (SO agree with this one)
10) Complaining More
....This video! If you're a long-time HP fan, counting the minutes until tonight's premiere, you'll probably relate to the lyrics! Haha!
Enjoy.....and if you go tonight to see Deathly Hallows pt 2, make sure you call in tomorrow to tell me how it was!
Not that anyone would do that on purpose, right? ;-) Most of this is common sense, but there's some stuff I had no clue about.....like wearing red is bad?? From MSN
1. Speak Up During the Ceremonyâ Not really the time or place for you to express your reservations or revelations about either party. Pull the bride or groom aside BEFORE the big day, if there's something you really have to get off your chest.
2. Stick Your Finger in the Cakeâ Gross! Cakes are a big investment and the couple should get all the pretty pics they want before the hungry crowd wrecks it. Hands off.
3. Wear WhiteâDo not, repeat, do not wear white to someone elseâs wedding. Most brides have been looking forward to their moment in the spotlight as the only one in white. Itâs considered the ultimate guest dress no-no. The other color to avoid wearing at a wedding is bright red. Colorful tones like pinks, yellows and purples are all fair game. Just stay away from anything in the white and ivory color family.
4. Use the Wedding to Hook Up-Do you really want the whole family gossiping about your dance floor makeout session for years to come.....and we haven't even begun to talk about cell phones and youtube evidence that will outlive you.
5. Give a Roast ToastâUsually goes hand in hand with number 6 (below). You're not a comedian, so leave the jokes to the professionals and keep it short & sweet.
6. Drink Too MuchâThis is probably the most common one. Easy to do....NOT easy to live down. ;-)
7. Let the Kids Run WildâTrust me. Your kids DO NOT want to be there. You will have a much better time, too, if you leave the kids at home for the evening.
8. Spill Anything on the Bride- 'Nuff said. If you're drinking red wine or coffee or even punch, steer clear of the lady in white until you are done.
9. Hit on the Waitstaffâcompletely inappropriate and you could get hit with a harassment lawsuit.
10. Tell the DJ to Change the Musicâ It's the bride's day, right down to the music she told the dj to play. If it's not your wedding, keep your song suggestions to yourself.