Are you a new parent? I found this list online today of the 10 things to know about a baby's first year:
1. When the baby appears to be doing math in her head, she's pooping.
2. Mirrors are magical to babies.
3. The sound of a blasting hair dryer can halt a newborn's mystery crying. Dr. Harvey Karp (The Happiest Baby on the Block) really knows his stuff.
4. The clothing you make fun of now -- Ugg boots, jeggings, Slankets -- will soon be known as wardrobe staples.
5. Keeping relatives and friends up to date with baby news, photos and videos is practically a full-time job. If only it paid in cash.
6. Pajamas with zippers are so much easier than snaps.
7. Much like America's TV viewing audience, babies don't always know what they want until you show it to them. Swaddling works. Persevere.
8. Have dinner out before it's too late. In the beginning, that baby can sleep through fireworks. Soon enough, you'll be a slave to bedtimes and the only dinner out you're getting without paying a sitter is the 5 p.m. seating at CPK.
9. By the end of year one, your attitude towards germs, TV and sugar will have relaxed considerably.
10. The yucky phases (teething, gas, screaming in the car, hating the stroller) are generally short -lived. The yummy phases (snuggling, being cute, making you laugh) last all year and beyond.