10 Delicious Holiday foods that we should stay away from...
by Chris Michaels,posted Nov 30 2011 6:26PM
It's the Holiday season and Health.com released some great holiday foods that we should actually try to avoid this season. My favorite...Pecan Pie made the list. I can't really avoid that one.
1. Gingerbread. It's got tons of flour, sugar, and buttermilk. One small piece can have 260 calories and 12 grams of fat. The fiber is the only real benefit.
2. Peanut Brittle. It's basically just corn syrup, sugar, and butter. It depends on the brand, but one piece typically has about 150 calories and five grams of fat.
3. Swedish Meatballs. They're small, so it's easy to eat a lot. And each one can easily be over 400 calories. That's 400 calories of white bread, butter, heavy cream, and salty beef broth.
4. Sugar Cookies. They're not as bad as SOME cookies. But an average sugar cookie has 200 calories, and 14 grams of sugar.
5. Fruitcake. As you know, it's not healthy just because it has "fruit" in the name. One slice can have over 400 calories and 13 grams of fat.
6. Pecan Pie. Pecans are high in calories anyway. Then you add sugar, butter, and corn syrup. And in the end, one normal slice will be at least 500 calories, and have 37 grams of fat, and 26 grams of sugar.
7. Candy Canes. They're just sugar and vinegar, so they're definitely not GOOD for you. But they're not really THAT bad either. One candy cane only has about 60 calories. So just don't eat TEN.
8. Eggnog. The ingredients include sugar, eggs, cream, and bourbon. So one cup has about 350 calories, and almost a day's worth of sugar.